Primers. Considered by many to be one of the foundation elements of a makeup kit…
and considered by others to be totally unnecessary. If you’re A Makeup Artist Of A Certain Age, like myself, you came up in a time before Primers so no, I do not think they are essential. I do like them in certain instances, however. As makeup artists working on our various clients, Delia and I are always discovering new staples for ourselves and our kits. Therefore we are going to do a periodic column called “3 Best” where we pick our three current favorites of any given product type and share our thoughts on them with you. We are starting the “3 Best” series with the three best primers in our kits and lives right now.
1. NARS Pro-Prime Multi Protect Primer – This is my go-to primer. Leaves a beautiful soft finish on the skin that preps the skin to accept any makeup type (powder, silicone, oil, oil-free) that I might be using over it. After seeing a demo with a NARS senior artist, I’ve also used this over my foundation and it worked wonderfully. Also despite the SPF 30 it’s never caused me a problem when used for photography.
2. Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer – My go-to primer for oily skin. I immediately preferred this over the original Photo Finish primer because it is lighter in weight and texture and less agressive. I can use this on my sensitive skin without incident.
3. Smashbox Hydrating Photo Finish Foundation Primer – My go to primer for my drier skin folks. Particularly if you work with more mature clientele, traditional primers can be too drying. Also where oily skin eats makeup, makeup can slip n’ slide on dry skin. This hydrates and creates a perfect palette for the makeup to follow.
Honorable Mention: Josie Maran Argan Primer Mist, another product great for drier skins HOWEVER this is actually what I use on myself because I find that my skin kicks up less oil when I do. Counter-intuitive, but try it. Your skin may love it.
1. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – My go to primer. I’ve found this primer really helps foundation go on smooth and flawless. Perfect for oily and acne prone skin, it keeps foundation from wearing off due to the skins natural oils. Helps foundation stay on for hours and doesn’t have a strong fragrance like a lot of other primers do.
2. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer – I love the texture of this velvety primer. Keeps foundation from creeping into fine lines and is great for oily skin types. A little goes a long way with this primer so the container will last quite a while.
3. MUFE HD Microperfecting Primer – Although they discontinued the original formula, which contained SPF, this newer formula works just as well. It’s lightweight and dries pretty quick. I’ve found that the foundation stays on, but not as long as it would with the other two previously mentioned primers. I still prefer Laura Mercier or Smashbox but this works when I’m in a pinch and I need an alternative to the other two.
Tania and Delia are both veteran media makeup artists with clients in print and motion. Tania is the founder and main Makeup to Go blogstress, while Delia is Makeup to Go’s Blogstres En Espanol. Delia also offers Bridal makeup services. You can visit Delia’s website at Faces By Delia
Delia Jiménez Owens es una artista de maquillaje y pelo disponible, en los angeles y las vegas. Su trabajo se puede ver en su pagina, Faces by Delia o se puede comunicar con ella por medio de correo electronico, firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 – 2016, Tania. All rights reserved.