The PHAMExpo debuts this weekend, 6/29 & 6/30/201, at the Pasadena Convention Center. PHAMExpo is the brainchild of Cheryl Morrill who has extensive experience in the beauty trade show world, and her vision is to incorporate hair and fashion into the makeup trade show format. This differentiates PHAMExpo from the existing trade shows, and I am interested to see how the vision is executed. I will be honest that I am a bit concerned that the show is open to the public as opposed to for professionals only. Anyone who has been on the Exhibit floor during IMATS knows what I mean. In my opinion the two consistent challenges facing all of the trade-shows is how to balance the needs of beginning/aspiring artists vs. those of working artists and how to balance the need for vendors to make money while maintaining a true Trade Show vibe for the pros. With that in mind, the education at PHAMExpo seems to range in topics that will interest veterans and novices alike. Further, students and Industry Professionals are allowed entry into the show at a discount and there are special hours and “lounges” for folks in the trade. As with any first-time venture we shall have to just go and see.
Exhibitors that Caught My Eye:
- MACPro, Inglot, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (show sponsor), and Stila will all be there and expect all of their booths will be buck-wild all weekend.
- Naimie’s (show sponsor) is going to have pretty much all of the other major brands represented at their booth: Bobbi Brown, Lise Watier (amazing line, waaaay underrated/under-appreciated), Smashbox, LORAC, Make Up For Ever, Too Faced, etc.
- Cult brands SugarPill and Lime Crime (show sponsor) will also be there for those who like their makeup out loud (I still need to try some SugarPill. Lime Crime has several lip-colors I like and use in my kit).
- Parian Spirit brush cleaner will be there thank heavens because I am almost out.
- Staple brands such as RCMA, Cinema Secrets and Embryolisse will all be in attendance.
- For your tools needs, Bdellium Tools, Royal and Langnickel (show sponsor), London Brush Co., and Hakuhodo will be there as well.
- Enzo Milano – purveyor of high quality, professional hair tools – will be there which is very cool.
- Exciting for me this trade show is the return of Yaby Cosmetics to the West Coast. Liz (Yu, founder of Yaby and owner of Toronto’s new Blur Makeup Room) sat out the previous two LA trade shows as she has to travel all the way from Toronto. Not only will her fab product be there for purchase, Yaby will also be involved in some of the show’s education which we will discuss next.
- Lastly there are a lot of smaller brands which I have never heard of before and that’s always my favorite at a trade show. You never know when today’s “whos-it” brand is going to become tomorrow’s “it” brand, so discovering new brands is one of my favorite trade show activities.
To see the full list of exhibitors, you can visit PHAMExpo Exhibitors List.
Education is INCLUDED in your PHAMExpo ticket price! Shopping is great, but shopping when you have money because you have been working is even better!
- The Education offered at PHAMExpo features top names in the field, none moreso than Saturday’s opening Keynote speaker Troy Jensen. If you do not know who Troy Jensen is please do not even tell me and just go to his talk on Saturday morning Troy is a top celebrity makeup artist who works with talent the likes of Kim Kardashian and Jennifer Love Hewitt for red carpet, editorial, etc.
Saturday, 6/29, 10a – 11a, Main Stage
- Also presented on Saturday, MAC Cosmetics presents Makeup as Art where artist Tiffany Johnson will use stencils, appliques, airbrusing and more to transform models into works of art. If you are tired of “vanilla” makeup and want to step outside the box, you will want to catch this demo.
Saturday, 6/29, 1p – 2p, Main Stage
- Cory Bishop, celebrity artist and Pro Artistry Manager for Stila Cosmetics is conducting “HD Makeup For The Analog Generation” which will focus on application techniques for Hi-Definiton on mature skin. You need to take this class. HD is highly unforgiving and is already apt to show every imperfection if the makeup is not applied correctly. Add to the equation working on mature skin and you have a recipe for disaster if you are not properly skilled. Cory will share his tips from prep to finish for a perfect HD application.
Saturday, 6/29, 2:15p – 3:15p, Main Stage
- Saturday afternoon on Stage 2 gives us one of the demos incorporating hair as Paul Mitchell Pasadena & CAO Cosmetics presents a live demo with Master Associate platform artist for Paul Mitchell Systems, Melissa Jaqua and salon owner and Paul Mitchell Systems educator, Abe Barron.
Saturday, 6/29, 3:30p – 4:30p, Stage Two
Finally Stage 3 gives us two intriguing offerings:
- New Zealand photographer Sue Bryce is going to demo how to “Build Your Own Portfolio”. So if you’ve ever been frustrated on not being able to find a photographer to collaborate with, she is going to show you simple techniques using natural light and a point-and-shoot camera that you can use to begin a portfolio.
Saturday, 6/29. 1p – 2p, Stage Three
- Yaby Cosmetics is teaming up with the ladies of Greene Street Beauty to present the “What you have ALWAYS wanted to know” Q & A session to answer YOUR makeup biz questions. Greene Street Beauty is the dynamic duo of Melissa Street and Kim Greene, both of whom are veteran media makeup artists, Melissa doing a lot of TV/Commercials work and Kim Greene being a veteran Film makeup artist. This is a great opportunity to pick the brains of top-tier artists with a lot of knowledge to share.
Saturday, 6/29, 2:15p – 3:15p, Stage Three
Sunday gives us more of the same level of education fabulousness;
- Celebrity makeup artist extraordinaire, Scott Barnes (Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Hudson, Vanessa Williams and of course the “J-Lo Glow”) will be the opening Keynote speaker. He will be teaming up with master hair artist Frank Galasso for what is sure to be an entertaining and informative talk.
Sunday, 6/30, 11:00a – 12Noon, Main Stage
- Paul Mitchell the School Pasadena & CAO Cosmetics are back again to present a live demo on “Hair Trends” with Master & International Platform artist for John Paul Mitchell Systems, Alee Cao. This is a great class for artists like myself who do have to offer hair services, but who are not in the day-to-day immersion of working in a salon. While it may have been the rage back in the day, The Rachel haircut’s time has come and gone. It is as important to stay up on hair trends as it is on makeup trends, so I will be there for this one.
Sunday, 6/30, 2:45p – 3:45p, Main Stage
- Branding is an often misunderstood but vitally important part of establishing yourself as a professional artist or as a business. If you are clueless, PHAMExpo presents Star Walker “Personal Brand Strategy: Why You Need One and What You Can Gain With It”.
Sunday, 6/30, 12:15p – 1:15p, Stage Two
- An effective marketing campaign is the difference between working or not PERIOD, and marketing techniques have changed dramatically over the last few years. I try to attend at least one marketing class/seminar a year to keep up. Photographer Sue Bryce returns to teach “Using Social Media to Create Your Own Amazing Marketing Campaigns”. I see artists either under-utilizing social media or using it entirely incorrectly all the time. Learn how to right the ship and watch your business grow.
Sunday, 6/30/13, 1:30 – 2:30, Stage Two
- For the first time that I have ever seen at a makeup trade show, there will be a panel featuring NAIL artistry! Unless you have completely been living under a rock, you know that nail art technology and creativity are at an all-time high right now. Nail artists are in high demand and making more money than ever.“Celebrity Manicurists Panel – NAILgasm” BRASS, director of the documentary “NAILgasim”, will lead a panel of celebrity manicurists on trend tips and techniques. There will also be a live nail art demo from “Nail Candy” authors Donne and Ginny Geer of “Hey, Nice Nails!”
Sunday, 6/30/13, 10:30a – 11:30a, Stage Three
For the complete Educational Schedule, visit; PHAMExpo Education Schedule
If you have not done so already, get your ticket for PHAMExpo now. Trade shows are not just about shopping and education, but about being amongst your professional peers and the opportunity to meet people live and in person and expand your professional network. After the show I will share my thoughts on this inaugural event.
In the meantime, I will be there on Sunday, and I hope to see you there too!
(NOPE – I was not paid to place this article just as I have never been for any of the Trade Show articles – or any other article – I have written. I do not rock “placed” articles, ever, period. As my blog focuses a lot on the beauty biz and on beauty biz education, I like to cover all of the major makeup artist trade shows. The fine folks at PHAMExpo were so kind, however, as to grant me a VIP ticket to the show )
© 2013 – 2014, Tania. All rights reserved.